As you know after seeing our McLaren F1 GTR story from the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion at the Weathertech Raceway Laguna Seca, Jim Fonseca was there to enjoy the weekend and document it for RacerViews.
Here is his full gallery from the weekend. Some of the ontrack highlights included:
- 551 historic cars with race provenance selected out of over 1,000 applicants participated in the event.
- Nissan were honored as the featured marque with Nissan and Datsun racing history being celebrated. Luminaries at the event include John Morton, Peter Brock, and Steve Millen. It is the first time an Asian automotive manufacturer has been the featured marque at the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion which began in 1974.
- The Nissan R390 GT1 Road Car is on display for the first time in North America only at the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion.
- The 15 race groups consist of cars ranging in age from a 1911 National Speedway Roadster in Group 1A to a 1995 Nissan 240SX in Group 7B.
- The all-electric Jaguar I-PACE that set the “Showroom Stock” lap record at WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca at 1:48.18 with Randy Probst driving in the days leading up to the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion is on display in the pit garages.
- Two-time Formula One champion Mika Häkkinen performed exhibition laps for the second straight year on Friday and Saturday, this time behind the wheel of a 1994 McLaren F1 GTP.
- Late American racing legend Dan Gurney was honored in a touching tribute in the latter half of the Picnic in the Paddock event on Saturday which was hosted by Murray Smith and featured stories from Sir Jackie Stewart and Chris Cord and a musical tribute by Donald Osborne.
- Audi used the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion as a platform to make the world premiere of the 2019 Audi PB 18 e-tron concept car on the Paddock Stage presented by Audi on Thursday, August 23.
- The Formula 5000 race group is celebrating the 50th anniversary of the series. The racing and revelry drew participants from around the world including 14 from New Zealand alone.
- Ford unveiled the 2019 Ford GT Heritage Edition on the Paddock Stage on Friday, August 24. Derek Bell drove the car up to the stage.
- The International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) announced their 50th anniversary book on the Paddock Stage on Saturday, August 25. IMSA is going to be the featured marque at next year’s Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion on August 15-18, 2019.
The RacerViews info
Photos from Jim Fonseca, Words from PR, August 2018
RacerViews was established in 2011 and with the aim of delivering a new web experience to motorsport fans. We bring you more than just the news. Our exclusive interview and galleries brings you the views from the track, from the racers. Our extensive race review collection allows you to keep up with the action from around the world. The team of passionate pros have decades of experience in the motorsport field. Our social media presence on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube bring you more, a holistic experience. We have more than 3100 followers on Twitter and more than 2 million views on Google Plus. Our mission is to bring exclusive content is in safe hands.
This year we have full season commitments to cover the FIA WEC, British GT, Belgian Rally Championship and Laguna Seca. You will also find us at Blancpain GT, Supercars, IMSA, WorldSBK and more.
Our commitment to motorsport can be seen with unrivalled coverage of the Queensland Rally Championship. Additionally, over the time we have partnered with motorsport teams like Ben Gersekowski, Andreas Wirth, Stig Richards Motorsport, One of a Kind Motorsport, Dark Horse Racing, Nat Rallysport and MRT Performance in order to give you the best exclusive motorsport coverage.
If you have a motorsport story to share contact us!